Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I can never spell Cincinnati (Chili)

For some reason, I can never seem to spell Cincinnati. I always put 1 "n" and 2 "t"s, instead of the other way around. I tried the Cincinnati Chili recipe from And a Cookie For Dessert because it sounded really good. It had a unique combination of spices and flavors. It did not disappoint! I served it with a mound of cheese and over spaghetti. Surprisingly, the spaghetti works - it melds with the chili to create a pasta-like dish.

Cincinnati Chili
from Brooke's Blog
2.5 lbs ground beef
1 tsp olive oil
4 cups water
12 oz tomato paste
1 ¾ tsp onion powder
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp mild paprika
½ tsp hot or Hungarian paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1tsp all spice
¾ tsp celery seed
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp oregano
½ tsp crushed red pepper
½ tsp ground clove
1 oz unsweetened chocolate

Directions:
Brown ground beef in olive oil, then add water, spices and tomato paste. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally and replacing water as needed. Add chocolate and continue simmering for 1 hour, stirring occasionally and replacing water as needed. Serve over pasta or rice.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Glad you liked it! I'll pass it on to my co-worker - it's her dad's recipe!