Sunday, February 10, 2008

Thai Coconut Chicken

If there is one thing that I love, it's Thai food. I have attempted to make Thai cuisine at home but it never turns out like it does at a restaurant. I found this yummy recipe on the Dinner With The Bickfords blog. I was also pleased to find out that it was Weight Watchers friendly.

Thai Coconut Chicken
2 teaspoons oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch strips
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon fresh ginger
1 Tablespoon packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (I used green Thai curry paste)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 pound asparagus, cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces (I used onions, mushrooms, and green pepper)
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 Tablespoon fish sauce (I omitted this because I hate fish sauce)
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 cups cooked brown rice (I used Jasmine rice)

1. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet, then add the chicken and sprinkle with the salt. Saute until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.

2. Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet over low heat, then add onion, garlic and ginger. Saute until fragrant and the onions are softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in the sugar, curry paste, and cumin; cook 1 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the asparagus, coconut milk and fish sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.

3. Add the chicken and basil; heat through. Serve over rice.

No comments: